American Bank was established in 1952 as Bellmead State Bank. In 1979, American Bank of Waco (formerly Bellmead State Bank) moved into the Round Bank – its new building on Interstate 35. On the other side of town, a group of Wacoans established American National Bank in 1982. When the American Plaza opened in August of 1986, American National Bank expanded by moving its lobby area to the first floor of the Plaza.
American Bank of Waco and American National Bank merged in November of 1987 to become American Bank. The merger provided Waco with the convenience of banking at "both ends of town." Our East branch is located in the heart of Bellmead, just north of Waco on Interstate 35. The West facility is on Highway 6, just across from the Richland Mall. For more information on the benefits of banking with American Bank, click here.
As a locally owned bank, our Board of Directors is comprised of local individuals who support our community, and are aware of the needs of its citizens. View our Board of Directors.